Monday, May 18, 2009

Science math and education in second life

I have been bad about blogging! But a lot of time lately has been spent on touring and learning more about the application of Second LIfe in math and science. These are difficult areas for me to wrap my mind around because academically these are not strong areas for me. Given that I do believe that these are areas that hold a great deal of potential for Second Life as a learning environment.

I was just reading a post in Boing Boing http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/13/scientific-research.html about the application of Second Life in sciences. Particularly physics and neurology ...interesting.

Second LIfe has also offered the opportunity for recreating ecosystems and the resulting consequences of activities on earth which can damage the ecosystem. This lab application of Second Life is delivered at a fraction of the cost to develop in world versus real world.

The math applications are definitely in world. One can create art using fractals and building things in world. IN building of course one can apply math through the use of measurements, etc.

Of course there are computer and software application in world as well.

Finally there is the art and opportunities to learn about other cultures. As I was traveling in world the other day looking at the showcase I realized there were several new Japanese and Asian sims I toured some of these and here again it is evident how much a student can learn abou these cultures in world.

The times they are "achanging.." http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/18/death.online/index.html?iref=t2test_techmon

No comments:

Post a Comment